Job Vacancy at United Nations Development Programme – 7 Openings
Job Vacancy at United Nations Development Programme – 7 Openings: The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states.
Consultant On Course Facilitator(s) – Gender in Peace Support Operation Course Centre for Strategic Research and Studies National Defence College Nigeria.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Objective Of Consultancy:
The Course aims to enhance participant’s knowledge and skills on gender dimension of contemporary Peace Support Operations (PSO). In addition, the course is designed to enable participants play their respective roles successfully in managing peace, security, sexual and gender-based violence in conflict environments and PSO.
The seven (7) facilitators having mission experience of the various mechanisms for the implementation of command structure and leadership responsibilities in PSO, mission strategy, and civil-military cooperation, gender mainstreaming, among others, his / her role is therefore to assist participants assimilate the course learning outcomes in preparation for deployment into multidimensional PSOs under United Nations (UN), African Union (AU) or ECOWAS mandate. He /She is expected to achieve these through lectures, personal examples, advice, guidance and tutoring.
Specifically, the objective of the Gender Course is to improve the participants understanding of gender mainstreaming and dimensions in contemporary PSO environment through capacity enhancement.
- Special Task
Attend Course Directing Staff review sessions to analyze course progress and offer suggestions to improve the Course content and conduct for current and future Gender Courses.
Facilitate lecture activities and syndicate discussions and where appropriate, provide additional guidance and examples on gender mainstreaming and dimensions.
Ensure all participants remain focused on the tenets that all components in a multidimensional mission must strive to achieve. These include communication, coordination, cooperation and consensus among all personnel.
Engage course participants in conversation during course breaks and social activities about various experiences in gender dimensions in PSO.
Where requested, to present central module(s) and participate in central panel discussions as a subject matter expert.
Provide a written critique of the Gender course and submit it within 14 days of the completion of the course.
- Outcome/Output Deliverables:
- Assessment of Participants’ performance during the course.
- Plenary and break out syndicate training of all participants for deployment in an integrated and multidimensional PSO.
- Building networks among different components for smooth PSO.
- Pre course evaluation.
- Post course evaluation.
- Detailed course narrative.
Desired Experience & Qualification:
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills:
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates capacity to communicate effectively; capacity to plan and organize programmes effectively
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and mature judgment
- Excellent facilitation and modelling skills
Qualification and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the workings of UN/AU/ECOWAS and mission experience is required.
- A first degree in Social Sciences or Humanities preferably Peace and Conflict, Political Science, Psychology, Law or International Relations.
- A mixture of practical and theoretical experience working under UN, AU or regional missions will be an added advantage.
- Candidates must also possess at least 10 years cognate experience in training and facilitation of PSO related courses in general with bias for gender dimensions.
- Other experiences include excellent knowledge of gender mainstreaming in PSO at the regional level.
Evaluation Criteria, Language Requirements and Payment Terms:
- At least 10 years’ cognate experience in training and facilitation on PSO related courses with bias on gender mainstreaming) – 30 points
- Minimum of a first degree in Social Sciences or Humanities preferably Peace and Conflict, Political Science, Law or International Relations – 25 points
- 7 years’ experience in the workings of AU/ECOWAS and mission experience working under UN, AU or regional missions – 25 points
- Knowledge and understanding of post conflict reconstruction and peacebuilding activities and how to implement them using case studies-10 points
- UN or international organization experience – 10 points
Contract Conditions and Payment
The consultancy is deliverable-based, and the fees shall be paid by the UNDP upon successful completion of the assigned Module and submission of reports.
Management & Reporting:
The Facilitator shall work under the direct supervision of the Course Director and the Course Sponsor who is the Provost, Centre for Strategic Research and Studies (CSRS), National Defence College (NDC). The Course timetable shall be prepared by the Course Director for joint review and approval by CSRS, NDC.
Duration and Venue:
The conduct of the course shall be for 2 weeks, from 25th January-05 February 2021. The Facilitators will stay for the number of days assigned to the module in the Course timetable and shall be involved in the discussion panels. The venue is the CSRS, NDC.
How to Apply
All application must be made on or before the 19th January, 2021. (Midnight New York, USA). All qualified and interested candidates should click the link below to apply